04 July 2010

Jung was right

“There are no coincidences” --Carl Gustav Jung.

I believe that sentiment.  There is too much that happens on a day to day basis that is wholly unrelated at the time of the occurrence but becomes connected later on in its effect.  Thing A might happen today, while thing B may not happen for a day or two, and due to the fact that most people (especially Americans, sorry I are one too, and its true even of me most days) have the attention span of a gnat they don’t realize that the two events or incidences (incidii?) are related to one another, it may be sometime in the future before they realize that A and B were actually connected.

Jung coined this phenomenon synchronicity, believing that events that appear to be causally unrelated are in fact intertwined with each other whether the observer believes it or not.  This intertwining can take many forms, most people who employ well designed critical thinking skills can see these things as part of a giant puzzle, at the time we may not know where all the pieces fit, or that they are even part of the same puzzle.  There is a potentiality for multiple puzzles to be available at any given time to be put together by the astute observer.

It is not my job to convince you of this, or anything else for that matter, as it would be a violation of my spiritual tenets to do so. The greatest freedom “God” gave us is the freedom to choose, for right or for wrong, the freedom to choose, and therefore it would be a violation of your freedom to choose if I were to convince you one way or the other, I can simply present my case as the facts that I know to be true and allow you to decide ultimately on your own what you will believe.

Case in point, I wrote the second blog post first, and sat on it, Unsure whether or not to start this journey and post it.  I sent it to a friend, who, besides thinking I was totally insane (ok well partially insane anyway), confided in me that they were doing much the same thing, without knowing the reason why, just trusting that it is what needs to be done for whatever reason.  It was with that feedback that it was posted.  The religious asshattery post was actually written second but posted first, and it wasn’t until I read them top to bottom, almost as one posting, since the blog puts the latest on top, that I realized there was synchronicity between the two.

It seems that the universe was trying to tell me something, with the asshats on the side of the road, that maybe, just  maybe, my instincts are right, something wicked this way comes.

The journey begins, with a single step, toward the destination, even if the destination is in fact unknown.  I love the ancient Chinese wisdom as well, which succinctly states that “unless you change direction, you are liable to end up where you are headed”.

No comments:

Post a Comment