20 July 2010

Romans, Christians, and Does God Give a Crap

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." –Author Unknown

This hits the nail square on the head so to speak, why is it that the individual religions and their subsequent followers do not question the existence of whatever it is they believe in.  As I have stated previously I am neither atheist nor agnostic, but hold views of a higher power that while not necessarily antithetical to modern religions certainly flies in the face of the established dogmas.

I am currently in the next state over to attend training in Windows Presentation Foundation fundamentals and advanced techniques.  While retrieving my belongings from the vehicle I happened across a “church” group holding their weekly meeting in one of the multiple conference rooms located on the lower level of the hotel.

I still believe that all people are free to exercise their religious beliefs in whatever way they see fit, hey that’s up to them, but it does not stop the ice pick in the ear feeling I get when a group of people get together to “praise God and pass the ammo”.  Do none of them stop to think why they are there, or are they there out of some odd sense of necessity, do their lives stink so badly as to need the comfort of one another while they worship and give song offerings.  I suppose it’s’ better than sacrificing young children mind you, although that thought has crossed my mind from time to time.

I just don’t get it, I may never get “it”, I am unsure of that at this time, however I do know that they definitely did not apply any critical thinking skills whatsoever to their little gathering downstairs in the prince George room.  I know this because I was met with contempt when I simply peered in to see what was going on (ever so curios, one day it’s going to get me killed, and hopefully not in a way I have not imagined yet).  One of our fine church going ladies was out in the hall way taking a personal cell phone call, now had she been on the phone with God taking direction I could understand that, in fact I may have a few questions for him myself.

Anyway, I was walking down the hall, with the door opened in the direction I happened to be travelling so I peered round the corner just to see what variety of gathering had everyone all in a ruckus.  Said and described woman on the phone decided that “whitey” should not be imposing on “her” church service and basically said “excuse you”, I apologized and said I was simply curious as to what was going on, flashing my best smile and trying to be as apologetic as I possibly could.

Her reaction was nothing short of irascible in its nature.  Pretty much telling me that I did not “belong” to “her” church and to kindly remove myself, well that’s kind of tough since I’m at the hotel for the next week (today being Tuesday, yes it takes me several days to write these).

This whole encounter has done nothing but raise the question in my mind of how so called “religious” people can be such hypocrites, I’m not even sure that’s the term I’m looking for.  It seems endemic to me as well, that everyone has a label, and either they are trying to remove the one you’re happy with and replace it with theirs or they want nothing to do with you.  They all seem to lack the critical thinking skills to realize that the person they just rejected could have been their saving grace.

3 comments:

  1. I am ashamed to say there are too many "religious people" that have the "us four and no more" attitude. That is absolutely contrary to the Scripture. You should have been welcomed with open arms to hear the Good News.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your understanding. And your right, and not just contrary to the Christian scripture, but every other scripture as well. Regardless of your spiritual stripe, one should be welcome to come and hear whatever is being presented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These type of actions and many other such things are what caused me to question and finally give up on "religion". I believe in a higher being of some sort...even if it is only the natural progression of each event that we go through in our lives. ONLY "time" will tell if i am right or wrong...but for the moment, I trust very few and follow and praise no one unless there is true cause to do so.

    ReplyDelete